The Jinxed Week

Ok, it's been more than a week since I started working at STM and a lot of unusual computer problems have cropped up.

Day 1: Report for work. Look at the server. Server crashes. Seems like there were a series of blackouts recently and the UPS (uninterruptible power supply for all you laymen out there) konked out. Reinstalled the server OS (operating system like your windows, you know). Went home, still feeling secure.

Day 2: Sit at the server. Server locks up. LOCKS UP?!!! Can't enter the C:. Access denied. Checked the file properties. OMG, used space 0, free space 0. Sweat, never encountered this problem before. Reformatted the server and reinstalled the OS.

Day 3: Still trying to reinstall all the applications that used to exist. Stupid new version of the software is almost impossible to install and gives more problems. End of day, look for older version and reinstalled it. Life is bright and sunny again.

Day 4: Changed a hard disk on my PC for the first time(i'm not a techie, ok) under the watchful eyes of my 'instructor'. 'Don't worry, nothing will happen. You can't go wrong'. Everything is done. Turn on the PC. Poof, the power supply trips and the whole second floor goes powerless.First thought in my mine, OH NO, THE COMPUTER IS FRIED! After checking, fortunately, the computer didn't turn into KFC. The stupid cable was faulty. Once again, a first time for me.

Day 5: Happily looking through the software in the computer, downloading some convertors. When suddenly realized the whole database's attributes has changed. Sweat, sweat, sweat... quickly asked the respective people to stop using the database. End of the day, figured out the problem, some configuration issue.

Oh boy....Day 6 and 7 were well, relatively uneventful but 1 to 5 was more than a handful. The younger and more superstitious me would have thought, so many bad things happening in one week, could it be a sign that this is not the right job for me.

Fortunately, I have grown hopefully more wiser and mature as a person. I realize that through all these experiences, I was re-learning the system at an accelerated pace and discovering new things I did not know. At this juncture, a Bible verse comes into my mind:

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things.

To which I'll respond: 'Jinxed week? Maybe. Blessing in disguise? Definitely. Praise be to God.'

Comments

Popular Posts