Anger

Ephesians 4: 25 - 26 (NIV)
'In your anger do not sin': Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry and do not give the devil a foothold.
Once again I find myself, simmering with anger. For as long as I can remember, I have this propensity towards anger; sometimes with good reason, more often than not, without any justification.
Anger is a very dangerous emotion; it can be likened to a destructive flame within us. Left uncontrolled, it will burn like a forest fire and wipe out the good and even the bad, leaving only empty barren land. Uncontrolled anger towards another person will burn away whatever good thoughts we may have towards that person. If prolonged indefinitely, whatever good, whatever love you ever had towards that person will turn to bitterness, coldness and finally indifference. And when finally, when you come to your senses, you forget the reason why you have been angry in the first place.
I envy those who have a cool head, who never seem affected by their emotions. But then again, I believe God is fair, each man has his own crosses to shoulder. Ah, to master your shortcomings is such a painful journey. Blessed is the man who has companions to advise and accompany him on this journey.
My advice is to master your anger before it controls you. Think before you act. Ask yourself : Why am I angry? Do I need to be angry? Yes, you may have every right to be angry but on its own, anger never solves anything. If anything, anger will just beget more anger, like a spreading flame. As the bible verse advises, snuff it out while you can and let the day end in peace.

Comments

Las montaƱas said…
very insightful. anger especially abounds on the roads. But I take a deep breathe, and pause for a moment. The exploding thoughts will subside...

Popular Posts