Language Classes

One of the reasons, I left the hustle bustle of the big city and came back to Seremban was the opportunity to study the Chinese (mandarin) language. When we were young, our parents sent us to an English medium school. When we were adults, they keep telling us to pick up the Chinese language. (Yeah right, learning languages is like breathing)

Yes, finally after 30 years or so, I finally enrolled in Chinese class. Yeah, now can cut down on my banana-ness (Yes, if you're Chinese and can't speak chinese, they call you a banana man. Don't ask me why; I can't visualize myself long, yellow and rich with potassium and vitamin C)

Ecks, but life has a funny way with things. About the same time, my church started free Vietnamese classes to cope with a new ministry. So yours truly enrolled as well. Two language lessons a week. Mandarin has 4 tones; Vietnamese has 6 tones; ah... the mental agony; and all that new vocabulary and phonetics... sweat sweat sweat... Thank God I'm not totally Mandarin illiterate.

You may think, why torture yourself? Personally, I think that, in life, you don't get much second chances. When an opportunity comes knocking, you better seize it and make time for it. People who always say, 'I'll do it next time' are usually bound for regret. I have no desire to spend my old age regretting things I really wanted to do but did not do when I had the chance.

Carpe diem!

Comments

Las montaƱas said…
Are you a Virgo? virgoans are pretty good at languages.

Asian languages (character based) is damn tough!!! I struggle with written chinese too, but spoken is ok. So I take the angmoh languages like German, Spanish. And people tell me Malay is easy, I suppose so... but I when I talk, people think I either Indonesian, or some academic speaking the baku style! :O
Jonzz said…
sweat, are you psychic or something? yup, I am Virgo. LOL, though I'd hardly think zodiac signs have any effect of language skills. I like languages. I think if you have a base of English, Malay and Chinese, you can a good foundation for other language. But I think other factors are a good sense of observation; (facial features, how the words are forms) and some music ability. LOL, I'm starting to sound like a know-it-all, ha ha. *zipping in progress*
Las montaƱas said…
haha.. be afraid! be very afraid!! Your personality reveal alot about your zodiac actually.
Anonymous said…
Hi I call him uncle James coz he knows some of my church frens...I call them uncle also ma.Showing respect ma. Cheers.
Jonzz said…
wei wei: ha ha, don't call them uncle lar, make them feel so old. Me, I always go by first names, unless they like such 'titles'. The only people I'd allow to call me uncle are my baby nephews and kids shorter than my waist height. Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Let me grow old at my own leisure... (signs of insane reasoning)
Anonymous said…
Banana man: yellow on the outside and white on the inside. That means you look like a chinese but speak like a gwei-lo la. If you happen to be an indian, we will have to call you a coconut man instead. :-P
Anonymous said…
how about angmo that speak chinese?anyone would like to make a guess?
Jonzz said…
You'll have to enlighten us, Joycelyn.
Anonymous said…
anyone wants to make a guess?[clue:a type of food]
Anonymous said…
anyone wants to make a guess?[clue:a type of food]

Popular Posts