The Peeing Prawn

I'm sure most of you would have eaten 'lai lieu ha' or translated 'Peeing Prawn' especially if you've eaten it before. I think the accurate term for it is 'mantis prawn'. Some restaurants call it 'er ku' I think.

Anyway, I had my first taste of this creature in Penang a few years back But I've never actually seen a live one before. I imagined it must look like a lobster or crayfish.

Today I went to Kuala Selangor for seafood with two good friends and finally had the opportunity to see them live in an aquarium. So for those who have eaten them but haven't seen them before, here's what you've been eating all along. One of my friends had a squeemish expression after seeing them, LOL. She ate without knowing what they were before.



Comments

Anonymous said…
I had my first taste of mantis when i was home last year, it was sooo yummy the way they cook it. I oso went to kuala selangor for the seafood, my first time there, reli interesting place.
Anonymous said…
Yup, tasty treats they are
There's a place in Serdang where you can get them in their shells for your steam boat
Not much meat though considering the large shell
ChinkinIn said…
Wonder if they actually squirt, hencce the name?
Wuching said…
omg mutant prawns! i wouldn't eat it
me said…
why do they call it lai liu, i wonder? did someone actually hold it and it leaked? did someone tasted the leakage to confirm it's urine?? did it drink too much water? questions, questions, questions.
eastcoastlife said…
I have never tasted one. Nice ah?
Jonzz said…
firehorse: so nice hor. I love it, cholesterol and all

zeroimpact: wow, must check it out then

chinkinin: donno leh

wuching: liar, i know u like mutant cooking! HA HA HA

me: umm... that's too much thinking over one prawn. HA HA

ECL: VERY NICE!
Anonymous said…
I'm not too sure I've eaten this before or not but when fried it is curled up?
Unknown said…
They used to be cheap prawns... not not so cheap anymore!
Annie said…
*shudder* hate crippy crawling things. Cook it, burn it and slap lots of BBQ sauce, now, that's a critter I'll have near me. :D

Popular Posts